This simple sauteed veggies recipe combines zucchini, yellow summer squash and carrot for a colorful side dish, perfect with grilled meat of chicken. Not only it’s healthy, but it’s also so delicious that you’ll want to make it all summer long.
Ingredients list for the summer squash sauté
Makes 4 servings
- 2 pounds (1kg) summer squash and/or zucchini, cut into julienne or matchstick
- 1/2 pound (125g) carrot, peeled and cut into julienne or matchstick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
Balsamic, Honey Roasted Cabbage Steaks
1. Place squash and carrot in a colander above the sink or over a large bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Allow vegetables to rest for 10 minutes, then squeeze gently with your hands to drain off as much excess moisture as possible. Do not rinse.
2. While vegetables are rendering water, toast almonds in a large dry skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until fragrant and lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
3. Using the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring regularly, until fragrant and browned, about 2 minutes. Add carrot and cook for 2 minutes. Then add squash and cook, tossing occasionally, until crisp tender, about 5 minutes (the squash shouldn’t go limp). Add Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Finally, fold in almonds and serve.