Hearty without the meat — This baked sweet potato packed with a nutrient-dense vegetarian chili makes you feel good at first bite. The kind of dish you could have bread with and not feel guilty at all!
Ingredients list for the stuffed sweet potato
- 2 large sweet potato (or 4 medium), scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 red chili, seeded and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 can (400g) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400g) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 large bunch of fresh parsley (or cilantro), chopped
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- ½ cup (125ml) sour cream, for garnish
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F(200°C). Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork then wrap in foil and bake until soft all the way through (20-40 minutes depending on the size). Set aside and keep warm until ready to serve.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet and add the chopped onion. Cook over medium heat until golden. Add the butternut squash, cumin, and cinnamon and season to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the bell peppers, carrots, and garlic and cook for another 3–4 minutes. Add the white beans, red kidney beans, tomatoes, bouillon cube and red chili. Simmer for about 25 minutes, until the sauce is thick and the vegetables tender. Add a bit of water to avoid drying up.
4. Cut the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Ladle vegetable chili on top, and serve topped with the sour cream and fresh parsley.