Ingredients list for the Strawberry Lemon Layer Cake
Serves 7-8 gourmets
Makes a round 8-inch (20cm) cake:
- 3 cups (340g) of self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups (350g) of sugar
- Zest of an organic lemon
- 3/4 cup (180g) softened butter
- 1 cup (250ml) of whole milk
- 5 egg whites
- 2 pounds (1kg) of strawberries
- 2 tablespoon strawberry jam
The Chantilly frosting:
- 4/5 cup (200ml) whipping cream
- 1/2 pound (200g) mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. Line a cake pan with parchment paper on the bottom and butter the edges for an easy release of the genoise.
3. Combine 1/2 cup (100g) of sugar and lemon zest in the bowl of your mixer. Add the butter and whisk until the mixture becomes creamy. Stir in remaining sugar, continue whisking. Then pour 1/4 cup of milk. Whisk a few seconds at slow speed then add one third of the flour and remaining milk. Add remaining flour.
4. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
5. Fold the egg whites into the batter in four steps, mixing gently with a spatula.
6. Pour into your prepared pan and bake at 320°F (160°C) for one hour, checking regularly.
7. Meanwhile, cut the strawberries into small cubes (keep some whole for decoration) and coarsely mash with a fork in a bowl with the strawberry jam. Set aside.
8. Once the genoise is done, allow to cool in the cake pan.
9. Cut out the top of the cake with a bread knife, about 1/5-inch (1,5cm) thick to get an flat top.
10. Cut the genoise horizontally to separate into three discs. I used a bread knife, it was perfect. You can use a layer cake slicing kit for making even slices.
11. Stack the 3 discs, spreading strawberry mixture between each slice.
1. In a very cold stainless steel bowl, whip the cold cream then add the sugar, then the mascarpone. The Chantilly frosting should make peaks.
2. Place a generous scoop of frosting on top of the cake, spreading evenly with a small palette knife and working your way down the sides until you have a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake.
3. Garnish with strawberry halves and finely sliced strawberries for a pretty presentation.
(Photo: Pourquoi je grossis)