Some time ago, I made strawberry ice cream. I took a classic ice cream base, to which I added some dried strawberries and milk powder (to improve the texture of the ice cream). Unlike ices, which are made from a custard and fruit pulp, ice creams are made from a mixture of milk, cream and fruit pulp. The sorbets are based only on syrup and fruit pulp.
So here we go for the strawberry ice cream with dried strawberries.
Strawberry Ice Cream with Dried Strawberries
Ingredients list: strawberry ice cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) of milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) liquid cream
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) of strawberry pulp
- 3/4 cup (100 g) of sugar
- 2 tbsp (15 g) of skimmed milk powder
- 1 1/2 oz (40 g) of dried strawberries
Step by step instructions
1. Wash and hull strawberries, and cut them in half or quarters if necessary.
2. Blend the strawberries with a hand blender or food processor.
3. Combine milk and cream in a saucepan.
4. Add the strawberry pulp.
5. Then add milk powder and sugar.
6. Using a whisk, mix the ingredients.
7. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
8. Put the mixture into a bowl or a cap, and put it to cool rapidly in a water bath with cold water and ice. Stir regularly with a spatula.
9. Film the cold container and reserve the mixture in a cool place.
Leave ti ripen for at least three hours in the fridge.
The maturation is not a requirement, but it allows the development of flavors, hydration, better crystallization of fat and an increased rate of proliferation. In short, it makes a tastier and creamier ice cream that keeps better at room temperature.
10. Put the mixture in your ice cream maker for 25 to 30 minutes.
11. Chop the dried strawberries.
12. When the ice is almost set, add the chopped dried strawberries.
13. Remove the blade with a rubber spatula to drop the ice cream at the bottom of the tank. Do the same with ice cream that is on the walls.
14. Smooth the surface and set aside covered in the freezer.
On the picture below you can see the ice cream dressed in “tulip” with a thin baked crust. The tulip cookie recipe is here.
A good ice cream maker will make your task a lot easier!