There’s nothing I love more about Fall than putting pumpkin or winter squash in absolutely everything and for any occasion, and this fragrant vegetarian stir-fry makes no exception, especially when we use a nutty kuri squash. Perfect for a weeknight dinner, this kuri squash and bulgur stir-fry comes together in less than 30 minutes. Bulgur has excellent nutritive qualities and gives a satisfying, meaty feel. If you’re gluten free, you can easily substitute quinoa for the bulgur and get the same effect. Want to make it 100% vegan? The cheese topping is totally optional!
Ingredient list for pumpkin stir-fry with bulgur
- 1 cup (100g) bulgur
- 1 medium-sized kuri squash
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Salt, pepper and olive oil
- Cheese, it’s up to your choice : parmesan, blue…
1 . Wash the kuri squash, cut it in half and remove the core. Detail each quarter into small pieces ( not too big because cooking wouldn’t be homogeneous). I chose not peel my squash, the skin is still very tender and delicious when cooked. But you can peel it if you prefer.
2. In a skillet, heat the olive oil and add the kuri squash pieces. Brown gently.
3. Peel the onions and garlic and chop them. Add to the pan along with the chopped parsley, cumin seeds, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring often to prevent sticking to the skillet.
4. Meanwhile, cook the bulgur in a large saucepan of salted water. Drain when cooked and prepare the plates.
5. When the kuri squash pieces are tender, place them on the bulgur and sprinkle with cheese. Serve hot.