It appears that steam cooking is one of the best cooking method… Yes it’s true. With stew cooking, what I call a ”steam recipe” is ideal for a healthy and nutritious diet. However, steaming does not carry a very good reputation when it comes to taste…
What is steam cooking?
Steam cooking is cook (or heat) food with hot steam. There are several ways to do this:
- You have a traditional Stackable Saucepot and Steamer: it is a ”machine” that goes on fire and which is designed specifically for steam. There is a small tray to put water in the bottom and “shelves” on which food is distributed. We close with a lid. The water will heat and steam will rise and so cook your food.
- You have an Electric Food Steamer: a machine (often plastic) in which you put a little water and you connect. The process is then the same.
- You have a Pressure Cooker, classic or electrical, with a net, you put water at the bottom and you cover. This will cook under pressure.
- You can use a single pot, put a little water and your vegetables on top. Then cover well. Your food is not covered with water. The goal here is that all the water evaporates into the food. Just watch there is always a little water so as not to burn the bottom.
Just with the cooking methods, you see that there is no monotony.
Steaming prevents the vitamin to escape in the cooking water, and also avoid too hot cooking that destroys some nutrients and vitamins.
It is essential not to let your vegetables overcook. In fact, steam recipes are more interesting because vegetables won’t lose some of their nutrients.
How to turn a simple steam recipe into a tasty dish?
We can steam everything, although it is more difficult for cereals and leguminous plants (but possible). However, for vegetables, there is no exception: they can all be easily part of a recipe steam.
Do not hesitate to mix vegetables to vary the flavors. A piece of zucchini and broccoli, pumpkin with potatoes,cauliflower and chard … Put the same 3 or 4 to cook safely. During or after cooking, add spices and herbs, and salt and pepper to give more flavor or simply spice up your vegetables. You can also make some herbal steam too, along with your vegetables.
Here’s just little tips to make a tasty steam recipe:
- Prepare a sauce alongside: milk (any, even coconut milk), eggs or cream, then you mix your vegetables into a kind of fondue.
- Mix your steamed vegetables with other ingredients and put them very quickly in the oven or grill to make a light gratin.
- Present your half cooked vegetables cold or warm with a dipping sauce in a cold drink or for your own meals or apperitives.
- Mix your vegetables with cereals and leguminous to vary the taste and have a full meal.
For a tasty steamy recipe, there were just a few thoughtful ideas. Steamy cooking is not suitable for many people because it seems to have no taste to them. However, it is ideal for ”purists” who love their food in the most natural state possible.
In any case, a steam recipe ideal for people who want to eat healthily or who want to lose weight because it contains less fat and retain the nutrients of vegetables…