This Spring salad on top of savory waffles is full of amazing colors and flavors! Waffles soaked with a deliciously tangy sauce just warm your soul and make you feel like you’re indulging in a brunch classic while eating a healthy, satisfying meal.
Ingredients list for the Spring Salad Waffles
Waffles (makes 10-12):
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- ½ cup (125ml) whole milk, lukewarm
- 2 large eggs warmed up to room temperature
- ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup (230g) butter, softened to room temperature
- 4 cups (400g) all-purpose flour
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3/4 lb (300g) fresh green peas, shelled
- 1/2 lb (200g) fresh snap peas
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons (20g) sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 coffee spoon honey
1. In a stand mixer, combine active dry yeast, and whole milk. Stir to combine and let yeast sit and activate for 5 minutes. Add in eggs and salt and beat until well combined. Add butter and beat until well combined.
2. Add flour and knead until dough is smooth in consistency. Place the dough in a medium greased bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let rest for about 1h30 until dough has bulked up more than double in size. Punch dough down, place back in bowl, cover and place in the fridge for few hours (or better, overnight).
4. Heat up waffle iron. Remove dough from fridge, it should be very firm. Knead a bit and divide dough into 8-10 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Place on the greased waffle iron and cook until it turns golden brown.
5. Make the salad: slice the bell peppers, snap peas and spring onion and combine with green peas. Prepare the vinaigrette sauce by mixing together soy sauce, sesame oil, peanut oil, vinegar, ginger and honey. Add seeds and adjust seasoning with black pepper. Toss the vegetables into the sauce and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
6. Serve the waffles into plates topped with the a large spoonful of Thai salad and a generous drizzle of vinaigrette.