This nutrient-dense carrots, bacon and split pea soup will keep you nourished and warmed up all winter. Make-ahead friendly with a delicious savory twist thanks to grilled bacon, you can enjoy it for dinner or even as a healthy lunch. Try it and you’ll be hooked!
Ingredients list for the Carrots,Bacon and Split Pea Soup
- 8 cups (2l) chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 lb (450g) veg soup mix (green split peas, yellow split peas, red lentils)
- 2/3 lb (300g) smoked bacon, diced (separate fat from meat)
- 1 cayenne chili pepper (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 onion, minced
- Fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or cajun spice blend
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (25ml) olive oil
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1. In a saucepan or pot with 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, cook onion without browning. Add carrot and celery and stir fry for a couple of minutes.
2. Add garlic and spices, then the mix of split peas, red lentils, bay leaf, thyme, chili pepper and bacon fat. Give all a good stir, making sure they’re mixed up well, then cover with chicken or vegetable broth.
3. Bring to a simmer then reduce heat and cook for 30-35 minutes until split peas are cooked through and soft. Add more broth if you want to keep a thinner consistency.
4. Remove the bay leaf and skim the excess of bacon fat, if you want. Adjust seasoning and set the soup aside.
5. In a skillet, fry bacon with one tablespoon water for 3 to 5 minutes until water is evaporated and bacon is crisp. Divide soup into bowls and garnish with bacon bits on top. Enjoy with crunchy country bread!
Note: For a vegetarian version, skip the bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Enjoy!