When it comes to healthy food, seafood is all virtue! Light and incredibly easy to make, this spicy mackerel stew with fennel makes for a quick and healthy dinner. This stew works well with white fish, though firmer is better—think cod or halibut.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Ingredients list for the Mackerel Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup green chile peppers or fresh cayenne, sliced
- 1 cup of fresh chopped tomato (about 1 medium sized tomato)
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 cup (240ml) of clam juice (or shellfish stock)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) dry white wine (like Sauvignon blanc)
- 2 mackerels, cleaned and gutted, cut into chunks
- A pinch of cayenne pepper powder
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
Creamy Four Cheese Spinach Butternut Squash
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and sauté 4 minutes. Add fennel and stir 2 minutes. Add tomato, and gently cook for 10 minutes or so.
2. Add clam juice, dry white wine, cayenne pepper and fish and simmer until fish is cooked through, less than 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve, garnished with chile slices.