These creamy, soft and chewy salted caramel candies make a fantastic edible gift for mother day. They literally melt in your mouth and only take about 15 minutes to make. You can enhance the basic recipe by adding honey, hazelnuts, cocoa or anything that will delight everyone.
Ingredients list for the soft caramels
Makes about 40 candies
- 1 3/4 cup (350g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 tablespoons (20ml) water
- 4/5 cup (200ml) liquid cream or whipping cream
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) unsalted butter
You can add anything your mom likes: roasted peanuts, chocolate chunks, almonds, hazelnuts, crushed candy canes… Here we opted for crushed roasted peanuts.
1. Line a medium rimmed baking dish with parchment paper. Sprinkle crushed peanuts or chocolate if you want.
2. Over low heat, warm the cream then remove from heat, keeping the pan close by.
3. In a larger saucepan, combine sugar, and water. Stir until the sugar is evenly moistened and forms a thick grainy paste Heat over medium to medium-high heat. Let the sugar syrup come to a boil without stirring. The syrup will darken slightly and smell caramel-like.
4. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in 1 tablespoon (15g) butter to stop the caramel from cooking. Put the saucepan back over the heat and slowly pour the warm cream into the sugar syrup while whisking gently with a wooden spoon. Add remaining butter and continue cooking until caramel colors and reaches the desired consistency.
5. Pour the caramel into the prepared mold and let set for at least two hours or overnight. Once the caramels have cooled to room temperature, you can cover the pan.
6. When the caramel has set, lift out of the pan by the parchment paper flaps and transfer onto a cutting board. Cut the caramels into rectangular or square candies with a sharp knife. Sprinkle with shredded coconut (optional), then you can wrap the caramels in wax paper or parchment paper.