Pile up on veggies tonight: This lightweight vegetarian chili will knock your socks off! Super easy and so comforting on chilly days. Make with some white rice or corn bread and you are good to go for a super healthy dinner.
Ingredients list for the vegetable chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube + water to cover
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 1 red chili, seeded and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 can (400g) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (400g) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 large bunch of fresh parsley (or cilantro), chopped
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot and add the chopped onion. Cook over medium heat until golden. Add the sweet potato, butternut squash, cumin, and cinnamon and season to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the bell peppers, carrots, and garlic and cook for another 3–4 minutes. Add the white beans, red kidney beans, and tomatoes. Cover with vegetable stock and add red chili. Simmer for about 25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
3. Serve topped with fresh parsley. This vegetable chili goes very well with white rice.