Are you looking for the perfect cocktail hour appetizer? These mini burgers are the best bite size goodies you can serve up before the big meal. Not only they are delish, skinny but they’re uber cute to boot. Each version can be prepared with minimal fuss and simple ingredients, and each one adds something in terms of flavor and/or texture. Feel free to adapt and garnish any way you like!
Ingredients list for the mini burgers
Makes 40 mini burgers (about 1 ounce each):
- 6 cups (600g) plain flour
- 1oz (25g) fresh baker’s yeast or 1 tablespoon (10g) active-dry yeast
- 1 egg
- (180ml) whole milk
- (130ml) water
- (10g) salt
- (25g) sugar
- (30g) softened butter
- 1 egg white for gilding
- Seeds (sesame, flax, poppy …)
1. Heat milk, water and butter in a saucepan just enough so the butter melts. Don’t let it be too hot.
2. Combine 1 cup (100g) flour, yeast, salt, sugar, 1 egg and the heated butter and milk mixture.
3. Gradually add the remaining flour until you get a smooth, soft dough. Allow to rise it covered until it doubles in volume. Then start forming small balls (the size of a walnut). Meanwhile preheat your oven to 390°F (200°C).
4. Place the mini balls over two large baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Brush their tops with slightly beaten egg and sprinkle with seeds. Let rise for another 30 minutes and then bake for about 10-12 minutes at 390°F (200°C). Wait for the mini buns to cool down before slicing horizontally with a bread knife.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Horseradish cream
- Cooked shrimp, sheeled
- Lime juice
Season mayonnaise with a little Worcestershire sauce and horseradish cream. Spread mayonnaise over the bottom bun of the burger, arrange two arugula leaves, top with shrimp and sprinkle a dash of lime juice.
- Cherry tomatoes or baby Roma tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil
Arrange one slice of mozzarella on the bottom, then tomato slices. Drizzle with olive oil, salt lightly, and top with 2-3 basil leaves before finishing the burger.
“Goat cheese & honey” Burgers
- Red pesto
- Goat cheese
Brush the bottom of the burgers with red pesto, then cut add a slice of goat cheese. Add a few drops of honey.