A Sunday well spent brings a week of content! So try this sheet pan chicken and potatoes recipe this Sunday—it is simply seasoned with spices, tomato and onion and roasted in the oven for 90 minutes. This hearty chicken is so moist and tender everyone will love it. Couldn’t be more simple!
Serves: 3-4 Servings
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 75 mins
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Ingredients list for the oven roasted chicken
- 1 whole chicken, cleaned with skin on
- 2 white onions
- 1 red onion (sliced)
- 2 tomatoes
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- Scalloped potatoes, for garnish
Oven Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Combine the white onions, tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, paprika, 3 tablespons olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, fresh cracked pepper and salt in a food processor, blender, or a clean spice grinder.
2. Cut the chicken in two halves lengthwise. It’s shouldn’t be too difficult with a good chef knife or cleaver—alternatively you can ask the butcher to do it for you. Rub the chicken with the prepared marinade and let sit for 30 minutes.
3. Arrange red onion slices in a rimmed baking dish brushed with olive oil. Arrange marinated chicken halves on top, skin side up then pour all the remaining marinade over. Add scalloped potatoes around and cover everything with foil. Make sure the foil doesn’t stick too much to the chicken.
4. Roast for one hour until done or until the juices run clear when you cut a little bit. Remove the foil and return to the oven for 15 minutes more; either in roasting or broiling mood. Cover with aluminum foil for about 10 minutes before serving sprinkled with chopped fresh cilantro.
Notes: Cooking time will vary depending upon the size of the chicken. An instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken breast should registers 165°F (75°C).