Savory sweet flavors reign in this balanced chicken stir fry. Chicken breasts are diced and pan seared, then quickly stir fried with a savory sweet sauce and crunchy vegetables. You’ll love this quick and scrumptious dinner for a busy weeknight!
Ingredients list for the chicken stir-fry
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetables oil
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup (50ml) of the water, honey, cornstarch, soy sauce and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
2. Slice chicken into cubes. Season with pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken cubes until browned — work in batches if necessary. Transfer to the bowl with the sauce.
3. Add remaining oil to the same skillet; add broccoli, shallot, ginger, garlic and pepper strips. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in remaining water and reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until broccoli is tender crisp, about 3 minutes. Stir in reserved sauce and chicken with any accumulated juices; stir-fry until chicken is heated through and sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
4. Serve immediately with a dash of lemon juice and basil over white rice or rice noodles, enjoy!