If your have friends or family for the weekend, this prune an carrot chicken stew makes a perfect one-pot dish to share. The chicken comes wonderfully moist and dried plums and carrots bring this kind of delicate sweetness you can find in many North-African dishes. The prep time is very short so you will be able to walk away to enjoy your guests while the chicken simmers slowly.
Ingredient list for the Savory Sweet Chicken Stew
It is a simple and very tasty recipe with a cooking pot.
- 1 free range chicken
- 1 pound (450g) of carrots
- 1/2 pound (200g) prunes
- 1 cup (25cl) dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 Bouillon Cubes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Olive oil, salt, fresh cracked pepper
1. Season the chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Stuff with rosemary.
2. In a heavy cast iron pan or dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, then brown the chicken on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per side over medium high heat.
3. Meanwhile, wash and peel the carrots, trim both ends. Cut in half then cut in quarters lengthwise to make small sticks. Pit the prunes.
4. When the chicken is golden, set aside on a plate. Drain the fat from the pot, leaving about 2 tablespoons of oil. Lower the heat to medium-low.
5. Add crushed garlic cloves in the pan. Pour the wine to deglaze, then throw in the carrots, 1 cup water and 1 tablespoon of honey. Season with salt and Bouillon Cubes. Add the prunes and when the liquid starts to boil, put the chicken back and close the lid.
6. Cook, covered, for about 1:30 (adapt time to the size of the chicken) over low heat. At the end of cooking, remove the lid and allow the sauce to reduce. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and serve.
(Photo by: Rose and cook)