What’s quick, easy, and sure to bring on the smiles? Muffins, of course! Puffy, crackly on top, and beautifully flavored inside, these savory muffins are perfect for a sunday brunch or as an appetizer with a crisp salad. You can freeze them for the weeks ahead and get a delicious lunch fix in no time. Who said the muffin tin is just for desserts?
Ingredients list for the Ham, Cheese and Tomato Muffins
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 7 minutes
Total time: 22 minutes
- 1/2 jar of dried tomatoes, diced
- 1 1/2 cup (150g) all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup (50g) parmesan
- 2/5 cup (10cl) of olive oil
- 2/5 cup (10cl) of milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 tablespoon (10g) butter, softened
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) of smoked ham, diced
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
1. Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. In a bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
3. In another bowl, beat the eggs and add oil, mustard, milk and butter. Pour over flour and mix. Don’t overmix because this makes the muffins tough and hard. Season with salt and pepper.
4. When the dough is smooth, add dried tomatoes, ham, Parmesan and chopped basil. Pour the batter into muffin paper liners, muffin tin or ramekins. Bake until golden brown — 7-10 minutes for small muffins, 15-20 minutes for big muffins. Check for doneness with a knife blade. Allow to cool before serving with a salad as a starter.