This baked salmon in a puff pastry crust is totally worthy of a Holiday Meal. We took the classic flavors and textures of beef Wellington and transformed them into this elegant salmon recipe. Super convenient for parties, you can make it the day before and heat it up for an appetizer or the main course. The rich filling consisting of quinoa, spinach, bacon, lemon and garlic flavors the salmon nicely and keeps it moist during cooking.
Ingredients list for the salmon Wellington
- 2 1/2 oz (70g) of quinoa
- 3/4 lb (300g) fresh spinach
- 10 slices of bacon (you can use Pancetta instead)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15g) of butter
- Zest of one organic lemon
- (50ml) heavy cream
- 2 lbs (1kg) of salmon fillet
- 1 lb (500g) puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg yolk
Creamy Four Cheese Spinach Butternut Squash
1. Cook the quinoa in 2/3 cup (150ml) cold salted water, bring to boil and keep covered over low heat for 15 minutes to make it tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
2. Meanwhile, wash the spinach and cook in a hot pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Drain, chop the cooked spinach with a knife and add the quinoa.
3. Fry pancetta in a skillet until it gets crispy. Cut into small pieces before combining with spinach and quinoa.
4. Cut garlic into small cubes and fry in 15g of butter for 30 seconds. Zest the lemon with a zester or grater. Mince dill and combine these three elements with spinach, quinoa and bacon. Link by incorporating the heavy cream, salt and pepper .
1. Preheat oven to 390°F (200°C).
2. Roll out the puff pastry on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Lay off the first salmon fillet, spread the quinoa mixture over, then cover with the second salmon fillet on top. Close the puff pastry over the salmon. Press the dough on top to eliminate any air bubble. Moisten and weld the edges together. Decorate as you wish with small pieces of dough.
3. Mix the egg yolk in a bowl with a tablespoon of milk. Brush the pastry with this mixture.
4. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes. Be careful: if you increase the size of your salmon fillets must be taken into account well for cooking.
Tip: You can eat this salmon Wellington with a salad and a cold sauce made of heavy cream, herbs and lemon.