The combination of fresh fruit filling enveloped in a flaky crust makes this rustic blackberry and raspberry tart totally irresistible! The rustic galette dough is perfect for new bakers—you simply cannot go wrong with this recipe.
Ingredients list for the rustic tart
For the crust
- 2/3 cup (140g) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) all purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chilled milk or iced water
Ham Cheese & Spinach Puffs
- 1/2 cup blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- Sugar for sprinkling
- 2 to 3 tablespoons almond powder
The rustic tart crust
1. Cut butter into small pieces and chill in the refrigerator while you prepare other ingredients.
2. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl.
3. Add butter by increment and mix with your fingers as you go, until you get a coarse texture with clumps.
4. Add in the cold milk and mix until just absorbed. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes
5. Once ready to use, roll out the pastry dough on a floured surface into a circular shape then transfer to a baking pan covered with parchment paper.
The filling + baking
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Line the bottom of the dough with ground almonds, this will soak up the juices and prevent the tart from getting soggy. Arrange the berries in the center of the pie dough, leaving 1 inch around the edges then fold up. Sprinkle the crust with sugar.
3. Place in the oven and bake until the crust is golden, about 30 minutes. The juices should just be bubbling and the bottom crust should be done.