Few ingredients, big payoff! These cauliflower steaks are brushed with a mixture of olive oil and italian herbs, then roasted in the oven to crisp-tender perfection. Serve them with a smokey barbecue sauce for a toothsome weeknight dinner. Once you have tasted roasted cauliflower steaks, you’ll never go back to boiling cauliflower, again!
Ingredients list for the cauliflower steaks
- One cauliflower head
- Olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Italian herb mix
- Fresh thyme
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) . Remove leaves from stem end of cauliflower, leaving the core intact. Place cauliflower core side down on a work surface. Using a large knife, slice cauliflower into four steaks from the center of cauliflower, each steak should be approximatively 1/2 inch thick. Arrange the cauliflower steaks on a oiled baking sheet along with the broken florets.
2. Combine olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, italian herbs, and thyme into a bowl. Brush the cauliflower slices generously on both sides with this mixture, then roast in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden and cooked through. You can flip the steak a halftime, but it’s not mandatory.
3. When the cauliflower steaks are done, remove from oven and transfer onto individual serving plates. Sprinkle with additional fresh thyme leaves and serve with the barbecue sauce on top. or on the side. Enjoy!
Note: Breaking the cauliflower into florets is a possible alternative for this recipe, but thick slices are even easier to cut, and they show off the pretty, scalloped section of the head, perfect for a nice food presentation.
The barbecue sauce (optional)
- 1 cup (240ml) ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon juice from an orange
- 1/2 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Combine all of the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, and whisk until fully incorporated. Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.