This orange roasted chicken is another ideal recipe to prepare on Holidays for a family dinner. This healthy, vibrant dish is slow roasted with citrus and spices for not less than 4 hours, making the flavorful meat literally fall off the bone.
Ingredient list for the orange and cinnamon chicken
- 1 capon (or a large chicken)
- 2 organic oranges
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cloves
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 piece of fresh ginger, chopped (1-inch)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or 1/2 cup boiled water and a bouillon cube)
1. Preheat the oven to 460°F (240°C).
2. Rinse the capon with cold water, transfer in a roasting pan.
3. Coarsely crush the spices and ginger and combine with butter. Massage the capon with butter and spread butter and spices under the skin. Stuff the capon with a white onion, a red onion, unpeeled garlic cloves, fresh thyme and remaining butter.
4. Add the washed oranges, cut into slices.
5. Season with salt and pepper, pour the chicken broth in teh bootom of the pan and roast for 4 hours. Reduce temperature to 300°F (150°C) after 30 minutes. Turn the fowl upside-down at half cooking. Baste regularly with cooking juices. Meat should fall off the bone easily at the end of cooking. Serve with white rice and enjoy.