Resourceful and versatile potato will surprise you again with this melting potato skillet. Cut in small dices, it is cooked with mushrooms, carrots, tomato and Parmesan in a recipe largely inspired by risotto. This simple and flavorful potato skillet is sure to become a warming tasty meal for your weeknight dinner.
The secret to this potato skillet is to choose firm potatoes so they don’t lose their texture when cooked.
Ingredients list for the potato risotto
- 1 lb. (450g) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 tomatoe, diced
- A handfull button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 small leek, sliced
- 1/3 cup (70ml) white wine (optional)
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup (70ml) liquid cream
- 1/2 coffee spoon Italian spice blend (rosemary, thyme, oregano)
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Parmesan shavings
Ham Cheese & Spinach Puffs
1. In a large skillet, heat butter and olive oil and sweat shallot and garlic for 2 minutes over medium heat and deglaze with white wine. Allow the sauce to reduce and add carrot and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
2. Stir in the potatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add diced tomato, sliced leek and season with Italian spices. Cook for 2 minutes.
3. Pour vegetable broth and simmer gently for 10 minutes, or until potato is cooked al-dente. Adjust seasoning. Meanwhile, fry mushrooms with a dollop of butter in a separate skillet.
4. Add cream and mushrooms to the potatoes, then season generously with salt and pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more. Serve hot, garnished with Parmesan shavings, and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.
Note: Choose firm potatoes (we used red potatoes) that will hold their shape well, and monitor cooking carefully. Stop the cooking as soon as potatoes are al-dente, otherwise you want mashed potato.