We simply cannot go through the rhubarb season without trying a scrumptious rhubarb tart for dessert! If you’re looking for a fresh and fruity cake to end your meal or accompany your tea, this recipe for you, and it’s really not complicated. The rhubarb turns meltingly tender as the tart bakes, and it retains all its sweet tartness in the final dessert. The real magic happens with the almond cream and vanilla sugar filling, which flavor brings balance in the background.
Ingredients list for Almond Rhubarb Puff Tarts
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1 pound (500g) rhubarb
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (10cl) of whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (40g) ground almonds
- 2/3 cup (120g) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla sugar
- Slivered almonds
1. In advance: Peel the rhubarb stalks, cut into chunks, sprinkle with 1/3 cup (50g) sugar, and allow to drain for 1 hour to 1 day.
2. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C). Roll out the puff pastry sheet and line the bottom of a tart pan, prick the dough and cover with ceramic pie weights (or dry white beans). Blind bake the tart shell for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mix egg, almonds, cream, vanilla sugar and 2 1/2 tablespoons (30g) sugar.
4. Pour this mixture over the pre-baked pie shell and cover with pieces of drained rhubarb.
5. Sprinkle remaining sugar and slivered almonds before baking for 15 minutes.