Here is one of the great salads. This one if made of red cabbage, fennel, green apple and gorgonzola. This recipe for red cabbage salad is perfect as a starter, a main course (evening suits me perfectly, or lunch at work) or as an accompaniment for grilled meat or fish. I used Gorgonzola for a change, but there are other excellent cheeses that also marry well with the crunchy vegetables and apple. Do not mix at the last moment not to see it disappear into the salad. You can vary the herbs to suit your taste: dill, tarragon, chervil, coriander, and fennel green…
Ingredient list for red cabbage salad
- 1 small red cabbage
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 5 1/3 ounces (150g) Gorgonzola (or other creamy blue cheese)
- 3 1/2 (100g) of shelled nuts
- 2 spring onions with stems
- Some chives and parsley
Balsamic, Honey Roasted Cabbage Steaks
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon walnut vinegar (or cider)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Finely chop the red cabbage with a knife or mandolin. Cut the fennel bulb in half, chop it finely. Wash the apple, cut it into thin strips keeping the skin. Slice green onion maintaining portions of the pins. Chop the herbs.
2. Prepare the sauce in a large bowl by mixing all ingredients together (yogurt, mustard, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper).
3. Add the chopped red cabbage, fennel, potatoes, onions, herbs in the bowl. Stir until the sauce coats everything well.
4. Place sliced Gorgonzola and walnuts on top. Book in your refrigerator until ready to serve.
(Image Dominique Sauvages)