Tangy, juicy, crunchy, creamy and zesty: Vegetarian doesn’t mean boring and tasteless food at all, and while these open sandwiches are perfect for all the veggie lovers, even the non vegetarians will like them. These healthy sandwiches are quick to make and will add a little spark to your lunchtime routine. Avocado and ricotta bring a healthy dose of creaminess while tomato, onion and lemon are all sweet and tangy. Gorgeous slices of peasant bread bind everything together in a satisfying crunch
Ingredients list for vegetarian sandwich with avocados ricotta & tomatoes
- 2 long slices of good bread
- 4 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh ricotta
- Zest of 1 lemon + finely diced flesh
- 2 pinches coarse kosher salt
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 large, perfectly ripe avocado (at room temperature)
- 1 cup mixed-color grape tomatoes, cut in half horizontally
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Fresh basil
1. Mix ricotta with lemon zest, 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt and pepper and set aside.
2. Toast the bread slices and place on a cutting board. Spread the ricotta mixture on both slices.
3. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and cut each half into slices and arrange on bread.
4. Spread halved tomatoes over the avocado slices, top with red onion.
5. Top each sandwich with diced lemon, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Pour a drizzle of olive oil , garnish with basil and serve. Enjoy!
(Photo by Passion Gourmandise)