Quinoa tabbouleh salad — When I’m looking for the perfect summer side dish or a light lunch, tabbouleh is one of my favorite summertime salads. Quinoa works wonderfully with fresh mint and cilantro in this recipe. So if you’re up for a healthy and delicious lunch, let’s make this great twist on the traditional tabbouleh!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 small and firm tomatoes — cherry tomatoes are ok
- 4 spring onions
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 large handful of raisins
- 1/2 bunch mint
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- Cumin seeds
- 4-6 tablespoons olive oil
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
1. Rinse quinoa with cold water with the help of a strainer.
2. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the quinoa with a pinch of salt, cook over low heat for 12-15 minutes, water should be completely absorbed. Cover the quinoa and let it rest for 5 minutes. Check the instructions on the package if you have any doubt.
3. Meanwhile, chop tomatoes or cherry tomatoes into small cubes. If the tomatoes are very juicy, let them drain in a colander.
4. After it sits for 5 minutes, put the cooked quinoa into the bowl you’re using for the salad and let it cool to room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
5. While quinoa cools, peel and chop the onions. Peel the zucchini, scrape out seeds if they are large, then chop zucchini into 1/2 inch pieces. Peel and cut the bell pepper. Wash the cilantro, spin dry or dry with paper towels, then chop until you have about 1/2 cup chopped cilantro.
6. Whisk together the olive oil, fresh lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin seeds, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt to make the dressing.
7. When quinoa is cooled to room temperature, stir in the zucchini, drained tomatoes, sweet pepper, onion, cilantro, and raisins then add just enough dressing to moisten the salad. Keep the reserved dressing for later. Cover the tabbouleh salad, put into your refrigerator, and let flavors blend together for minimum 30 minutes.
8. When you’re ready to serve the tabbouleh, remove from refrigerator and let at room temperature. Meanwhile wash and chop mint. Sprinkle mint over the tabbouleh when serving. Each one will adjust the seasoning with the remaining sauce dressing. Enjoy!