Between work, leisure, children… for some of us, finding enough time left to cook becomes a luxury. But we cannot access to all this luxury because of good meals quickly, do not have complicated. It’s just a matter of organization and the right choice of cooking method. Here are some aspects to work on not to loose time in the kitchen. These unpretentious tips allow you to save on what is actually consumed and come to be relatively cheaper solutions in the end.
1. Organizing: the key for quick success!
Before embarking on the preparation of meals, prepare all the necessary ingredients and utensils. This will save you a moment of panic when launching and especially go faster in the preparation.
Think of preheating your oven: run it during the preparation stage. Once your dish is prepared, you will only have to bake immediately.
2. Preparation: tips to save time
The bags of frozen vegetables and canned products have the advantage to save you time: no need to wash, peel and cut into pieces.
Peel vegetables and cut your meat into pieces while waiting for water to boil or the stove heating. During cooking the dish, you can anticipate certain preparations: peeling potatoes, soaking them (in the case of pulses), cook, prepare marinades, cooking ingredients in preparation for future dishes or salads…
3. Choose simple, quick and even preparation methods:
- Foil: allow you to slip a fillet of fish or meat raw without preparation beforehand. Steam cook your fishes or lean meats in foil in your oven. For a pleasant change, they can be seasoned as you like and accompanied by finely sliced raw vegetables.
- Bread: if we don’t have time… better not to cook at all! On a thick slice of bread you can place slices of tomatoes, eggplant or zucchini, herbs, a slice of ham or salmon, a little mozzarella or goat cheese. Cold or browned in the oven, they are delicious bruschettas accompanied by a green salad.
- Salads: to cope with vegetables, starchy foods and meat, are another alternative to fast food. Mix flavors by combining several food groups.
- Compound plates: a handful of cherry tomatoes, 3-4 sticks of surimi, a slice of ham, some lettuce leaves, a piece of cheese, bread and a few raspberries, for example. It makes you a complete meal, ready in less than 5 minutes.
Food selection is important since some food are cooked faster than others: In the family of “starchy foods”, there are pasta and instant rice. There is also, in trade, bags of meal to dive directly into boiling water “express cooking.”
Eggs are also very easy to cook: omelette (5 min), fried (4-5 min), boiled (3 min), egg cooker (5-6 min)…
The microwave oven is not just reserved for reheating or thawing, it can also cook food in a limited time (no more than 15 minutes). Some foods are more suited to this cooking method, for example, white meats, fish, vegetables or fruit. So why don’t you try microwave cooking?
Here are some ideas for simple preparations:
The foil: drop a fish or chicken fillet in a parchment paper, season it to taste with herbs, spices, a little oil or lemon. You can complete this recipe by adding cut vegetables, coconut milk, tomatoes, a drizzle of cream… Close the foils and bake for 15-20 minutes in your oven at 180°c. Enjoy the scent when you open your foil!
Ramekins: mix different ingredients to (white meat, fish, vegetables, yogurt-based sauce) Cook for 10 minutes.
Blanks: mix 3 eggs, a little cream, a glass of milk and some vegetables or fish, then pour the mixture into a casserole suitable for microwave oven. Cook 10 minutes: it’s ready!
cooked fruits: to accompany the black pudding or dessert, make a baked apple. Remove seeds potato, prick the skin several times with a fork and place in microwave oven for 5 minutes.
The cooking pan: can fry food in a limited time. The ideal is to use a nonstick pan which allows to limit the addition of fat. Some foods are particularly suited to this type of cooking:
Cook some meats as they are (hamburger, black pudding, lamb chop, slice of roast, chicken strips or duck) or breaded in a mixture of flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs (schnitzel).
Fish: fillets of sole, trout, salmon fillet, cod… Fish cook fast in general in a pan or in oven.
Vegetables: zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms. Remember to cut the vegetables finely so they cook faster once in the pan.
You can also turn on your wok stove and revisit your recipes. The wok is a sort of hollow skillet native from Asia and sears food over high heat. Teenagers appreciate this method of cooking because it keeps vegetables crunchy.
Cooking in a pressure cooker also reduces cooking times of foods.