Creamy, delicious, filling, and nutritious, bananas are certainly one of those foods that almost everybody loves. Funny things is it’s never on my shopping list, but they always succeed in making their way into my shopping cart. From all those funny cartoon characters slipping on banana peels to fake banana noses to Chiquita Banana, their elongated curvy shape and yellow color lend them to whimsy. But despite this, it’s sometimes difficult to make them exciting, being one of these most common fruits. So if you have a sweet tooth, here are 8 quick ideas to dish out more bananas at your table.
1. Cut thick slices of banana on the bias and spread Nutella over. Kids will love it!
2. 3-ingredient pancakes: mash 1 banana with a fork; mix with 1 tbsp peanut butter and 1 beaten egg. Cook tablespoonfuls of the mixture for 1 to 2 minutes per side, on a hot nonstick pan. Garnish with with banana slices on top.
3. Make a banana-chocolate crumble: this combo always rocks, so make a delicious crumble topping and bake everything in small ramekins. Here’s the banana chocolate crumble recipe.
4. What’s better than a good smoothie in the morning? Nothing? Right! Then blend 2 bananas, 1-2 cup blueberries, 2 cups frozen yogurt, 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup ice and the secret weapon: some fresh mint! It brings your smoothie to another level of freshness and flavor.
5. Upgrade your cereal breakfast and infuse the milk with fruit: to do this, put banana slices and berries in a pitcher and sprinkle with brow sugar, then add a splash of milk to cover. Refrigerate overnight. It will makes the milk a bit thicker, and much tastier!
6. Mini chocolate and banana cakes: once again! A nice recipe to recycle overripe bananas that you may have forgotten in the pantry! First, make the chocolate cake which will serve as a base. Then caramelize banana slices to make the topping. Here’s the recipe.
7. Banana sandwiches: a longtime favorite made of white bread, mayonnaise and bananas. A underestimated classic!
8. Make a quick banana stir-fry with dried fruit, muscat and mascarpone. Unique and tasteful! Get the recipe here.