For the sweet pastry:
- 2 3/4 cups (270g) flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 5 1/3 ounces (150g) butter
- 2-3 tablespoons iced water
1. Work the flour, sugar and butter until it gets like breadcrumbs. You can use your robot mixer or do it by hand.
2. Add water to form a smooth paste. Knead the dough a few minutes and leave to stand for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap.
For the apple pie filling:
- 1 egg
- 8 granny smith apples
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar + sugar to sprinkle
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp ground almonds (I added powdered hazelnuts)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°f (190°c).
2. Peel and cut the apples into pieces. Heat them in a pan with water and cover until soft (about 5-10 minutes). Drain and set aside until cool. Mix with sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice.
3. Roll out 2/3 of your pastry to 3 mm thickness and line a mold of 8 inches (24 cm) diameter. Sprinkle with almonds and arrange the apple slices tightly.
4. Roll out the remaining third of the pastry and cover the pie. Brush the edges with water and close the pie by pinching. Then remove the excess dough.
5. With a knife, make several slits on top of the pie, brush with a beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes, when the dough should be nicely browned and crisp. Enjoy!