Maybe they’re bite-sized, but these Pepperoni Basil Tomato Puffs come with BIG-sized flavors with almost zero effort. Plus, they make the perfect brunch if you consider that Mother’s day is just a few days away! Complete with a crisp mixed green salad for a wholesome brunch.
Ingredients list for the Pepperoni Basil Tomato Puffs
Makes 9 – for 1 puff pastry sheet:
- 1 sheet puff pastry (click here to learn how to make your own puff pastry)
- 1 or 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- Pepperoni slices (2 per appetizer)
- Fresh basil, chopped
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon water, for gilding
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C). Roll out the puff pastry and transfer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cut 9 squares (approx. 3-inch/8cm)
2. On each square, arrange a tomato slice, topped with 2 pepperoni slices, parmesan, salt, pepper and chopped basil. Fold to opposite corners of each squares to form little boats.
3. Brush each pastry with the egg yolk, then refrigerate for 10-15 minutes before baking in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and pastries are puffed and golden. Serve immediately, enjoy!
Note: Make sure the puff pastry is cold when it goes into the oven. The recipe doubles easily, check our puff pastry recipe because it allows you prepare 2 batches.