Incredibly light and airy, crispy on the outside, but soft as marshmallows on the inside, these pear and caramel pavlovas are such a crowd-pleasing dessert to serve on a dinner alfresco with good friends.
Ingredients list for Pavlova with Pears Salted Butter Caramel
Serves 6 :
- 5 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups (250g) of sugar
- 3 pears
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (20g) of salted butter
- Salted butter caramel sauce
- Shortbread cookies
For the salted butter caramel sauce, follow this step by step tutorial with pictures.
1. Preheat your oven to 300°F (150ºC). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Draw a 6 small circles on the paper, using a mug or small plate as a template, and turn it upside down.
2. In a large bowl, using an electric beater or a food processor fitted with a balloon whisk, beat the egg whites until they are standing up in stiff, dryish peaks. With the mixer still running, add sugar spoon after spoon. Continue to mix until the meringue is extremely thick, firm and shiny.
3. Spread the meringue mixture over the paper, dividing into 6 even circles. Using the guides you’ve drawn previously on the parchment paper.
4. Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of your oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 260°F (130°C) and bake for 1h15. Turn off the oven and let meringues cool completely in oven until crisp and dry.
5. In the meantime: peel the pears and make regular slices. Heat butter in a skillet and fry pears gently until brown.
6. Transfer cooled meringues onto plates. Arrange pears on top, add a drizzle of caramel sauce and crumbled shortbread cookies. Serve immediately.
(Photo by Mon Ampersand)