Seeing a jar of lovely yellow lemon curd in the refrigerator will brighten anyone’s day. If you’ve never made, or tasted, lemon curd, this recipe is a great introduction! This version is flavored with fresh papaya for an exotic flavor, but still has fragrant lemony taste. Serve this improved version over shortbread cookies, or use as a spread for your breakfast toast or English muffins.
Ingredient list for the papaya lemon curd recipe
For one jar you need:
- 1 large papaya or 2 small, perfectly ripe (soft)
- Juice of half a lime
- 4 tbsp (50g) of cane sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 1/2 tbsp (50g) butter at room temperature.
Parmesan Garlic Spaghetti Squash
1. Peel the papaya and remove the black beans. Puree the pulp using a food processor.
2. Add the sugar and heat over low heat to melt the sugar. Off the heat, add the lemon juice and melted butter, stir.
3. Put the mixture in a double-boiler and add egg yolks when the mixture starts quivering. Do this without ceasing to stir and prevent the container touches the water bath. Your curd is ready when the mixture coats the spoon. Put into a sterilized jar and keep in the refrigerator.
Tips: You can proceed the same way with mangoes and replace lemon juice with passion fruit juice.
(Photo by cafecreole)