This one-pot pasta is incredibly flavorful, creamy and saucy. If you love the classic flavors of a Caprese salad this quick dish is your next go-to weeknight dinner. Everything is combined in the pot along with the cooking water and it reduces down into a perfect one dish meal as it cooks.
Ingredients list for the one-pot Caprese pasta
- 3/4 pound (350g) spaghetti
- 3/4 pound (350g) cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 stalks of basil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups (1 liter) of water
- Olive oil
- Fresh grated parmesan
Baked Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Squash
Parmesan is an indispensable part of the recipe. Purchase half a pound of good quality Parmigianno Reggiano and invest in a grater (I especially like the Microplane grater/zester). Pre-grated Parmesan bought in packets has no taste and is more expensive on the long run.
1. In a large pot, put together spaghetti, halved cherry tomatoes, onion and minced garlic, coarsely chopped basil, salt and pepper.
2. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil stirring and turning pasta frequently with tongs, until pasta is al dente and water has nearly evaporated. Count about 9 minutes.
3. Serve immediately with a drizzle of olive oil and a good dose of freshly grated Parmesan.
Note: To check doneness of spaghetti, just pick one and cut it with your fingers. If you see a tiny white dot in the center of the section, the pasta is perfectly al dente. Without any white point, pasta is overcooked and alternatively, if the the point is larger than half the noodle section, it’s undercooked.