The smell of a warm loaf of bread just out of the oven has something incredibly nostalgic, don’t you think? This simple no-knead bread recipe gets a makeover with a few surprises inside: crunchy muesli and sweet dried fruits! Inspired by Jim Lahey, New York’s premier baker, the no-knead method is a way to make bread at home that doesn’t rely on a fancy bread machine or complicated kneading techniques. With rising and baking, it takes about an hour and a half but the actual preparation of the bread requires just a matter of minutes.
Ingredient list for the bread rolls
Makes 12 breads rolls:
- 4 cups (400g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (270g) rye flour
- 0.4 cup (50g) whole wheat flour
- 2 oz (60g) muesli with dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups (50cl) of lukewarm water
- 0.6 cup (15cl) of lukewarm milk
- 1 tablespoon honey, a bit liquid
- 1 tablespoon active-dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons of muesli ( for decoration )
1. Combine milk and water. Add active-dry yeast and wait for 10-12 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, muesli, honey. Add all liquids and stir quickly with a wooden spoon (do not knead ). The dough should be very soft and not compact.
3. Sprinkle the surface of the dough with 2 tablespoons of flour and cover with a clean cloth. Let rest in a dry place away from drafts for about one hour.
4. meanwhile preheat your oven to 410°F (210°C).
5. Form balls of dough and place them in paper cups. Dampen the surface with few drops of water and sprinkle a bit of muesli over. Bake for 20 minutes.