Healthy food isn’t inherently fun, but homemade cereal treats always are! Granola bars are designed to give you a boost and powerful amount of energy in a small and convenient package. Easy to make, super healthy and fabulous when they’re crunchy, they taste better than the ones from the shelf. You know all the ingredients in it and there aren’t any preservatives and whatever else related to pre-packaged food. These granola bars are about the simplest thing that ever was. No baking. It takes about 10 minutes to toast over the stove, make caramel, mix together and 15 minutes to firm up in the fridge. We made a typical fall mix with cereals, nuts and seeds like pumpkin and sunflower, but there are endless possibilities for add-ins. So you can create your own favorite version!
Makes 8 bars
Ingredients list for cereal bars with honey and Coco
- 1 3/4 oz (50g) rolled oats
- 1 3/4 oz (50g) grated coconut
- 1 3/4 oz (50g) sunflower seeds
- 1 3/4 oz (50g) pumpkin seeds
- 1 oz (30g) chopped walnuts (or pistachios, hazelnuts …)
- 1 oz (30g) dried cranberries
- 2/3 oz (20g) raisins
- 2 oz (65g) unsalted butter
- 2 oz (55g) good quality honey
- 1 1/3 oz (40g) of sugar
1. Pour the oats, coconut, sunflower seeds and pumpkin, and nuts in a non stick pan. Toast for ten minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly (be careful, coconut is delicate and can burn quickly!). Remove from heat, let cool and add cranberries and raisins.
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter with honey and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. At the end of 8 minutes, drop a bit of the mixture into a glass filled with cold water: if it forms a small and soft ball, then the caramel is ready.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the caramel. Mix well and spread over a baking pan previously lined with parchment paper. Compress very well with your hands or the bottom of a jar and let cool. Un-mold and cut the bars when the preparation is still warm.