Take vegetables out of the salad bowl! Here’s a trio of crisp and colorful salad cakes inspired by Japanese food stylist Mitsuki Moriyasu – They’re just perfect for your next potluck buffet! They’re easy to make and tastes as delicious as they looks!
1. Cabbage and corn salad cake
Ingredients list for the cabbage and corn salad cake
- 2 cabbage leaves
- 1/4 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup corn
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 2 or 3 bocconcini, or mozzarella
- ½ cup (80 g) plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
1. Blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling water for one minute to cook them.
2. In a large bowl, combine bell pepper, corn, cilantro, red onion. Mix with one or two tablespoons of the dressing and set aside.
3. Line a ring mold with cabbage leaves, then fill it with veggies. Press with a tablespoon to get a compact shape, then gently remove the ring mold.
4. Top the salad cake with halved bocconcini, chopped cilantro and fresh cracked pepper.
2. Strawberry and cucumber salad cake
Ingredients list for the strawberry and cucumber salad cake
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and chopped bit size
- 1/2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Mint leaves, shredded
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sliced scallion greens, for garnish
1. Line the bottom of a ring mold with a layer of cucumber slices. Then add one layer of chopped strawberries. Top with red onion, then add another layer of cucumber, strawberries, red onion, until you fill the ring mold to the rim. Finish with a layer of cucumber.
2. Garnish on top with red onion rings, cilantro leaves and sliced scallion. Sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Avocado cucumber salad cake
Ingredients list for the avocado cucumber salad cake
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- Lemon juice
- Chili pepper flakes
- Sliced scallion for garnish
1. Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Cut one half into small cubes, and mash the other half in a bowl or a blender with a drizzle of lemon juice.
2. Line the bottom of a ring mold with one layer of cucumber slices, then add a layer of red onion, a layer of sliced tomatoes and a layer of diced avocado. Repeat this process, pressing press on each layer, until you get to the rim of the ring mold.
3. Gently remove the ring mold. Using a spatula, spread the mashed avocado on the top and sides of the salad cake, just like you would do for icing a cake. The cake should be entirely covered with a layer of avocado.
4. Cut each cucumber slice in half, then stick them on the avocado “frosting”, slightly overlapping like fish scales, making vertical rows. Proceed to cover the sides of the cake leaving the top.
5. Garnish the top with sliced cherry tomatoes, red onion rings, cilantro, sliced scallion and chili pepper flakes.