If you love to cook, you know it doesn’t mean that your are doomed on a search for complicated recipes. Personally, I’m an adept of the philosophy that less is more. So if you like all things vegetables — and sweet potatoes especially — I think you’ll enjoy this recipe. This mashed sweet potato with orange juice is just another wonderful vegetable side dish that you and your family will want to eat every weeknight. The spices really accents the sweet potato flavor, but doesn’t overwhelm it or make it too complex. You can even make marger batches for freezing!
Ingredient list for the mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 1/2 lbs (1.6 kg) of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced
- 3 oranges, zested and juiced
- 1 3/4 oz (50g) of butter (approx. 1/2 stick)
- Grated nutmeg, salt, freshly ground pepper
Baked Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Squash
1. Melt the butter in a pot or a chef pan and sweat the vegetables without browning.
2. Then add the orange juice and cover with water.
3. Cover the pan with a disk of parchment paper with a hole in the center. This will prevent the vegetable from drying up.
4. Cook until sweet potatoes are soft and the liquid almost completely reduced.
5. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
6. Serve into individual bowl, topped with orange zest for the decoration.