I put this baked chicken drumettes recipe in the tapas and appetizers section, but it can also be considered as a meal with a salad and some fried potatoes. The chicken drumettes are roasted and the sauce is made by using ice-based gastric, chicken stock and ketchup, and is a little like a barbecue sauce.
Roasted Chicken Drumettes
Ingredients list: Roasted Chicken Drumettes
For ten chicken drumettes:
- 10 chicken wings
- A little olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Few sprigs of thyme
- Few sprigs of parsley
- 2 teaspoon (10g) of sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10mL) sherry vinegar
- 4 teaspoons (20mL) white wine
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 1/4 cup (300mL) brown stock of poultry
1.Cut the wings at the joint between the humerus and radius ulna
2. Note: We’re not going to use the sleeves, so keep the rest of the fins to make chicken stock.
3. Cut the skin and flesh around the humerus to remove it, and then scrape the bone with the knife.
Cut the bone, giving a sharp punch with the left hand (as close to the cartilage as possible in order to prevent bone chips, be careful as, it does not always work at first …)
4. Note: This is called “frenching” and can be applied to all bones that undergo the same treatment.
5. Crush the garlic clove with the side of a knife.
6. Mix the drumettes with oil, garlic and thyme and parsley.
Keep at least one hour in the fridge.
7. Mix the vinegar and sugar in a skillet or a Russian (pan).
Put the cooking pot over moderate heat.
Make a caramel, reaching a temperature between 330°F and 340°F (165°c and 170°c): it is preferable for beginners cooks to use a thermometer.
Décuire preferably with the bottom to avoid splashing while boiling.
8. Set the sauce to reduce, skim for the reduction if necessary, and keep warm.
9. Preheat oven to 390°F (200°c).
Arrange the chicken drumettes in a cooking pot that can go in the oven as well as on the fire.
Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning during cooking to get a uniform color.
Put the drumettes in a dish and keep warm in oven at 150°F (65°c).
Squeeze the wing’s juices in the cooking vessel, scouring the container.
Deglaze with white wine, loosen the juices with a spatula and reduce until nearly dry.
10. Add ketchup and stir.
11. Stir the gastric brown stock, reduce until sauce is syrupy.
Skim through a Chinese strainer: the sauce is ready!
What do you think of this chicken wings recipe?
Roasted Chicken Drumettes with a Sweet and Sour Sauce
About the equipment:
If you’re starting over at cooking, it is better to have good equipment right from the start. Since this recipe calls for cutting and scraping chicken wings, a good chef knife is recommended in order to make it work properly and allow you to cut safely. Here’s a little selection of equipment you might need if you don’t have some of these cooking utensils at home:
- Carbon stainless steel blading
- Fibrox handle provides a textured, sure grip
- Handle does not slip or slide, even when wet
- Slices, dices, and minces
- Versatile and useful on many meals, foods, and dinners
- Japanese-style cooks knives specialized for their dexterity in chopping, dicing, and slicing
- Traditional-style rounded Japanese handles made of heat and water-resistant resin; full tang
- Rust-resistant stainless-steel blades hold an incredibly sharp edge; hand wash and dry
- This handy set of 3 flexible cutting boards help protect against cross contamination
- 3 colors: green for veggies and fruits, yellow for seafood or poultry, pink for meats
- Can be bent or funneled to help unload chopped ingredients
- Made in the USA; FDA-approved and won t retain odors; dishwasher safe
- 4-quart saucepan made of 18/10 stainless steel
- Cast-stainless-steel handle stays cool to the touch
- Secure-fitting stainless-steel lid helps trap heat, moisture, and nutrients
- Dishwasher-safe; oven-safe up to 550°F; broiler-safe