Need a quick, healthy, and energizing lunch? This Kale Salad with Quinoa, Apples, ham and Cheddar is here to come to the rescue! Kale and quinoa superfoods pack an invigorating punch, sustained by a zesty lemon and apple cider vinaigrette and a good dose of crunch with almonds and hazelnuts. You can make this salad a day ahead, the flavors develop and deepen with a little extra time in the fridge.
Ingredients list for the Kale Salad With Quinoa, Apples and Cheddar
- 4 to 5 cups of kale, chopped very small
- 1 green apple, sliced
- ½ cup quinoa, dry
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- ¼ cup Cheddar cheese, diced
- 3 1/2 ounce (100g) cooked ham, diced
- Crushed hazelnuts
- Crushed almonds
For the vinaigrette
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine 1 cup water with dry quinoa in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cover and simmer on low for about 15 minutes until the quinoa is tender. Drain excess water and set aside.
2. In a large bowl toss together the kale, cooked quinoa, red onion, hazelnuts, almonds, cheddar and ham.
3. Whisk together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette in a small bowl or a mason jar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Pour the vinaigrette over the kale salad and toss to coat evenly. Arrange the apple slices around a serving dish and transfer the salad in the center for serving.