To be fair, this isn’t quite as instant as those little packets you mix with boiling water. But this quick chicken soup is a lot more gratifying, a lot tastier, a lot heartier, and a lot better for you. The carrot and cabbage greens are seasonal and healthy, but you can add whatever veggies you like.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: with raw chicken thighs, 45 minutes total; with chicken leftover, 20 minutes
Ingredients list for the instant chicken soup
- 4 chicken thighs (or leftover cooked chicken, see the note after the recipe)
- 4 cups (1l) chicken stock (or 4 cups water + chicken bouillon cube)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 4 cups sliced green cabbage (or bok choy, Napa, savoy…)
- Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 3 limes, cut into wedges
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves with tender stems (for serving)
Creamy Four Cheese Spinach Butternut Squash
1. In a large pot, put together the chicken stock, chicken thighs, garlic, and onion and cook until meat is fork tender. Remove cooked chicken from the stock and set aside.
2. Filter the cooking stock and put it back into the pot. Add the carrot and ginger and cook for 2 – 3 minutes, then add cabbage and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, shred chicken meat with a fork or knife. Add chicken to stock and cook until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Divide soup among bowls. Top with jalapeño slices and some cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over. Yum!
Note: You can make this soup with chicken leftovers: simmer garlic and onion alone, then filter and cook the other veggies before adding chicken. The soup (without the toppings) can be made 2 days ahead and kept in the refrigerator.