If you’re looking for an alternative to dairy, this vegan and lactose free hazelnut milk is a wonderful option! Featuring only two simple ingredients that you probably have on hand, here’s a step-by-step guide to making your own hazelnut milk.
Ingredients list for hazelnut milk
- 7 oz shelled (200g) hazelnuts
- 4 cups (1l) water
- 1 large pot or bowl
- A cheese cloth or a clean kitchen towel or a fine mesh strainer
- A blender
- One or several containers to keep the milk in the refrigerator
1. Place the hazelnuts in a large bowl, fill with water and leave to soak overnight.
2. Drain the water, rinse, and place the hazelnuts in your blender. Pour the water into the blender and pulse until hazelnuts have completely broken down.
3. Place muslin or cheese cloth over a colander and place onto of large bowl. Pour the liquid over the cloth, then pull up on all ends to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. If using a fine strainer, press with a tablespoon.
4. Serve straight away or transfer into air-tight container and store in the refrigerator. It will keep fresh for 5 days. The milk might separate a bit while it sits, just give it a quick stir or shake and it’s ready.
- Do not discard the ground up hazelnut meal. Save it to use in baked goods.
- You can use hazelnut milk as a drink on itself, mix it with cocoa, or even make ice cream! This vegan and lactose free nut milk is also delicious in your morning coffee as a creamer.