Question: “How firm should my risotto be? I assume it’s a matter of personal taste, but what’s the basic rule?” Steffy, Kansas City, MO
Editor: Make your risotto how you like to enjoy it! There are so many variations of this traditional dish, some ingredient combinations work better with a firm rice when others call for a mushy rice. I’ve seen restaurants where risotto was served very firm, and others where it was like soup and literally poured onto the plate. Risotto tends to firm up as it cools, so you can serve it loose and enjoy the firmness as you eat.
More cooking tips and recipes for risotto:
- Earthy and Comforting: How to Make the Perfect Risotto
- A Gourmet Mushroom Risotto
- Spinach Risotto with Mushrooms & Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Spelt Risotto with Mushrooms, Cheese and Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Ideas for Making a Risotto Perfectly Every Time