Here’s a delicious BBQ sauce that really packs a punch. Loaded with rhubarb, garlic, tomato, honey, paprika and cider vinegar, it’s a must for any summer backyard grill out! This barbecue sauce is compatible with, literally, everything: slathered on BBQ pork ribs, chicken, or veggie sandwiches, sharp cheese… you name it!
Ingredients list for the homemade BBQ sauce with rhubarb
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb, 1/4-inch slices (about 5 large stalks)
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup (125ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cayenne powder for extra heat (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat then reduce heat to medium low and simmer—uncovered—for 20 minutes, or until the rhubarb is tender, and the barbecue sauce has slightly thickened. Mash the sauce and rhubarb with a fork.
2. Use the bbq sauce immediately, or allow to cool then store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Note: If you want a smoother barbecue sauce, process in your blender after cooking. Adjust the flavor of the rhubarb BBQ sauce: If it’s too tart, add honey. If it’s too sweet, add a little apple cider vinegar.