A true gift to mankind from mother Nature, hemp seeds have a laundry list of benefits, including lowering cholesterol and blood pressure – in turn lowering your risk for heart disease. This tiny, innocent, fruit of the Cannabis Sativa L plant is packed with the most concentrated source of essential nutrients ever known: omega fatty acids 3, 6, & 9, proteins, amino acids and vitamins. Hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds) are the perfect food for those who look for cutting down gluten, sugar, milk, nuts and meat. If you are serious about preventing disease or changing your diet, here are 5 easy recipes to indulge yourself with this whole, healthy food on a regular basis.
1. Hemp Heart Energy Bites: You need 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup nut butter, 1/3 cup agave, 1 cup coconut flakes, 1/2 cup ground flaxseed, 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 cup of hemp hearts. Put all these ingredients in one bowl, mix well. Roll them in hemp hearts so the mini-balls are well coated. Then let chill for 30 minutes in your refrigerator. Store the energy bites in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
2. Chocolate Hemp Smoothie: In your blender, mix 2 cups of frozen cherries, 2 cups hemp milk, 1/4 cup hemp hearts, 1/4 raw cacao nibs, 1 tbsp of coconut oil and and handful of spinach leaves. Blend until you get a soft and creamy smoothie.
3. Hemp Hearts Hummus: Blend the following ingredients in a food processor: 1 can of garbanzo beans (rinsed), 2 tbsp of hemp hearts, 1 tbsp organic olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, ground cumin, garlic powder, Cayenne pepper. Add a pinch of salt and mix, adding water, until you get the desired consistency. Transfer in a serving bowl or an air-tight container.
4. Kale salad with Hemp Hearts: In a large bowl, combine shredded kale with olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add maple syrup and mix in until kale is thoroughly covered. Add strawberries, almonds and carrots strips. Mix together. Toss in 3 tbsp hemp hearts, and refrigerate until ready to use.
5. Hemp Crusted Tofu Steak: Prepare a marinade by combining soy sauce, garlic powder, coriander seeds, parsley, onion powder, water and apple cider vinegar. Marinate thick tofu slices for 1 to 2 hours. Meanwhile prepare the crust by mixing 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, wheat bran, 1/4 cup hemp seeds, garlic powder, salt. Coat each slices of tofu and bake in a preheated oven to 400°F (200°C).