This version of chili egg is perfect if you want a satisfying meal with a good spicy kick in the morning. Throw crusty fried hard-boiled eggs in a sweet and spicy tomato sauce with shallots, garlic, and Sriracha, and you’ve got perfection in a bowl for breakfast.
- 6 eggs
- 4 shallots
- 4 clove garlic
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 coffee spoons salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon sunflower oil
- A bit of frying oil (or sunflower oil)
1. Cook eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes. Peel them under cold running water, pat dry with paper towels, then allow to cool. Fry in a skillet with 1/2 inch frying oil, until egg whites are covered with yellow crust.
2. In a blender, put shallot, garlic, quartered tomatoes, Sriracha sauce and vinegar. Pulse to get a coarse puree.
3. In a cast iron pan, heat sunflower oil and pour the tomato mixture. Season with salt and sugar, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add fried eggs, reduce heat, cover and cook gently for 15 minutes, until sauce has reduced. Top with fresh cilantro and serve immediately with slices of toasted baguette or country bread.