Empanadas: It is always a joy to find something that everyone will eat! You can serve these empanadas by 2 or 3 along with a salad, as an appetizer, or with vegetables for a complete meal. You can of course add your own twist,, like mushrooms or cream, or make a half pork / half veal stuffing. This recipe is a base, so it’s up to you to enhance it! The slice of bread is essential because it brings softness and links the meat with the wine flavor. Try this fabulous recipe for a family dinner, it’s almost impossible to miss it. I guarantee you a huge hit!
Ingredients list for :Mini Pork Empanadas
- 1/2 lb (250g) of sausage or pork stuffing
- 1 slice of bread
- 1 small onion
- Chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup (about 10 cl) milk
- 2 eggs (1 for stuffing + 1 for gilding)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 or 5 tbsp of Riesling wine — Alsatian or any dry white wine
- 1 or 2 puff pastry sheets — homemade puff pastry recipe here
I used a 24 cavities Flexipan pan (65 mm) but any other mini quiche pan will do the trick.
1. Preheat your oven to 390°F (200°C).
2. In a bowl, mix the stuffing, parsley and chopped onion.
3. Soak the bread in milk to soften it. Add 1 egg and mix.
4. Pour this mixture over the previous preparation. Mix well, and add salt and pepper.
5. Add the nutmeg and Riesling wine. Mix well. Ideally, you’ll want to let the stuffing soak for several hours, but it is not mandatory.
6. With a 3 inch (7.5 cm) cookie cutter, cut 20 discs in the pastry and with the 2 1/3 (6cm) cutter, cut out 20 more.
7. Place each large disc into each cavity of the mold and put some filling in the center.
8. Moisten the edges of the discs with the beaten egg, then cover with the small discs and weld by pressing lightly on the contour. Prick the top and brush with beaten egg.
10. Bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes. Take out of the oven quickly and leave to cool a little because it is very hot. Enjoy.