A simple grilled avocado toast with spicy shrimp on a bed of creamy mashed avocado and chopped salad, finished with a pinch of freshly cracked black pepper. This tasty avocado toast recipe is a great source of vitamin E and will be perfect for your breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even a midnight snack!
Ingredients list for the shrimp avocado toasts
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 slices crusty artisan bread, such as sourdough
- 10-12 ounces medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/4 white onion, minced
- Fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic, halved (keep one half whole and thinly slice the remaining half)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Oven Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
1. Preheat the broiler. Remove the pits from the avocados, scoop the flesh into a medium bowl and mash with a fork. Add in the lime juice and salt and continue to mash until the mixture has reached your desired consistency. Set aside.
2. Place slices of bread on a baking sheet, rub with a cut clove of garlic and olive oil, and place under the broiler just until golden, about 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat then spread each slice of bread with a layer of mashed avocado.
3. Place a skillet over medium-low heat with a few drops of olive oil and add the fennel, seeds, black pepper and garlic. Heat slowly, about 1 minute to infuse the oil, then increase the heat to medium-high. Arrange the shrimp into the pan in a single layer. Grill shrimp until crisp and golden on the bottom side then flip and cook the other side for about two minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss lightly to coat well with the garlic oil.
4. Top the mashed avocado with a layer of salad then arrange white onion, tomato slices and shrimp. Top each serving with a sprinkling of red pepper flakes and cracked black pepper. Serve immediately.