Here’s a warm green peas and snow peas soup to welcome family and friends for the week end! What better way to capture the essence of late spring than by simmering freshly shelled peas and snow peas in a fragrant chicken stock accented by nutmeg?
Ingredients list for the peas soup recipe
- 7 oz (200g) fresh or frozen green peas
- 9 oz (250g) snow peas
- 1 pint (1/2 liter) of chicken stock
- 1/2 pint (1/4 liter) of semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon of light cream
- Salt and pepper
1. Shell and wash the snow peas. Put four aside and cut the remaining peas into pieces.
2. Heat the chicken stock and add the green peas and snow peas. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes at a simmer.
3. Meanwhile, bias cut the reserved snow peas to make little sticks and then cook the sticks for 5 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Keep aside.
4. When the soup is cooked, add the milk, cream, a pinch of grated nutmeg, salt and pepper.
5. Put everything in a blender and check the seasoning.
6. Reheat the soup over a low heat for two minutes and pour into plates. Sprinkle with the snow peas sticks. Enjoy!