Ready to bring some lucky green into your St Patrick’s Day Party? Whether you serve them cold or warm, these green pea soup shots with crisp bacon strips will make a solid impression on your entourage.
Ingredients list for the pea soup shots
Makes 6 shots
- 1 pound green peas, shelled
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 bacon strips
- Smoked paprika (optional)
Balsamic, Honey Roasted Cabbage Steaks
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add shallots and saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the peas, stir and cook another 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until peas are tender, about 15 minutes. Peas should be cooked through, but not mushy.
4. Meanwhile, fry bacon in a skillet, or cook in the oven until crisp. Drain from dripping fat and cut each strip in half and trim the edge to make clean rectangles. Set aside on paper towels.
5. Using a hand blender, puree the peas and broth until smooth.
6. Return the soup to the pot over low heat. Stir in the yogurt, if using and heat through. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
7. Serve warm or chilled in shot glasses and garnish with the crispy bacon strips. Sprinkle with smoked paprika you like to.
Note: the flavor is brighter if you use very fresh, young peas.