After success with the red lentil soup, I wanted to see what the green lentils would taste like. This rustic green lentil soup has a wonderful earthy taste and is warm, simple and inexpensive. The ingredients are enough for you to get full, so you can even consider it as a main course for lunch or dinner. Tasty, hardy , with a lot of character, this crowd pleaser is a perfect vegetarian dish as well.
Ingredient list for the green lentils soup
- 1 3/4 oz (50g) butter
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 lb (200g) small green lentils
- 1 can of tomato flesh (1lb – 400g)
- 2 pints (1 liter) chicken stock, recipe here
1. Peel and wash the vegetables, cut the onion and garlic into very small pieces.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter, add the vegetables, onion and garlic and a pinch of salt. Fry over low heat for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Add the thyme and paprika, mix and pour the tomatoes, lentils and broth. Check the seasoning and add salt if necessary.
4. Cook covered over low heat for 30 minutes more, until lentils re very tender.
5. Serve immediately with buttered toasts
(Photo by nanou)