Spicy Garlic Shrimp and White Beans – Here’s what you should make for a dinner that feels special. Shrimp pairs perfectly with white beans and tomatoes for a spicy comfort-food classic.
Ingredients list for the shrimp and white beans
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cayenne peppers
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cups (230g) chopped tomato
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cans (400g per can) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250ml) low-sodium chicken broth (or 1 cup water + 1 bouillon cube)
- 1 pound (450g) medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
- 1 teaspoon tandoori masala spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
Oven Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
1. Preheat the broiler. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add 1 garlic clove, cayenne chili peppers, bay leaf and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1–2 minutes. Add diced tomato; season with salt and pepper. Cook until tomato is completely broken down, about 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until the tomato sauce turns deep red and slightly caramelized, 3–4 minutes. Stir in white beans and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until juices are slightly reduced and thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
3. Combine remaining 2 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons olive oil, shrimp, chile powder and tandoori powder in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper and toss to evenly coat shrimp. Scatter shrimp over beans in the skillet.
4. Broil in the oven until shrimp are golden and cooked through, about 3 minutes. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil over shrimp and beans. Garnish with parsley. Serve with toasted bread slices, if you like.